Skip to main content

A Problem of Paper (or Paper, we don't need no stinking papers)

Ok, this has been an interesting kind of converse experiment, and an unintended one too. What had happened was this, I had a book that I had purchased, a paper printed book, that had been sitting on my shelf for quite a while that I started to read the other day. Now the resulting experience has been a surprise to me. I normally read over 100 books a year, but for at least the last four years none of the novels or other tradebooks that I've read has been on paper, instead they have all been through electronic means. Which does mean that I've become very comfortable with my ereader (usually my Kindle) as a method of reading.  And I know that more and more people are reading text from screens, but that includes things like google search results and email. Even my students have commented that once they start noticing much of what they read is on the screen, but for most of them pleasure reading is still something done with paper.

As a proponent of differentiation I do try to get ebook users to play with their controls and find the Goldilocks spot for things like the light level, font, text size, and margins to where their ebook experience is the most comfortable. That comfort is what I find that I'm missing with printed book experience.

So what is making it uncomfortable? I'll start with the weight, I've gotten very used to my Kindle that weight only about half a pound (just checked and it is only 7.2 oz, but I've got a cover too), while the hard cover book that I'm reading is about 20 oz, not really weighty but is noticeable while holding. Next has been the double page format, I don't like to crack the spine, so I'm holding open two pages when I'm only reading one of them, so I feel like there is this extra appendage sheet sitting off to the side.  Then a big thing is the font size, over on the left you can see that the print font size is about 3mm, while the ebook size on the right that I'm comfortable with is much closer to 5mm. This difference has induced noticeable strain, along with how I'm constantly have to move the light closer so that I can read (no internal illumination system for paper), and if I'm reading someplace without a movable light, I'm having to adjust my position so that the light can better reach the page. I will admit that this factor may be a personal age/eye aspect. I just hadn't realized that I've moved into the large print book phase of my life until I was reading the standard paper print.  In addition to those issues already mentioned, the pages keep moving or sometimes not. It is summer and the ceiling fans are on, so as I put the book down on a surface to read from the wind keeps moving pages, so that if I'm not holding them down, they move on before I've finished (or move back), and then for pages that stick, apparently my fingers no longer have enough friction to separate them easily so sometimes there has been that loss of flow as the bottom of one page doesn't match up to the next (because it isn't the next, it is two pages later. Then too has been my book mark which keeps falling out of the book.

So for myself I've gotten used to books that remember where I stopped, that I can prop up and read a page that will not move till I swipe it, fonts that are comfortable with shape and size, and an internal light that lets me read pretty much anywhere. For those that say they can't switch to an ebook because they would miss the feel, I can personally say I'm not missing the eye strain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ebooks as Textbooks - Part 2 - Highlighting

Highlighting can be a very effective tool in reading and learning no matter the kind of text being read: from novels to textbooks. Most textbooks or other forms of information text will usually used text features along with graphics to help organize information presented in the text.  These elements are done to help focus attention on important or key concepts and provide additional information. The text organization itself can include structural elements such as heading, subheading, index, glossary, paragraph spacing, bulleted or numbered lists, sidebars or side boxes, italics, underlines or bold for words or even sections. Graphic content can include the use of symbols, colors, illustrations, pictures, diagrams, charts, and graphs. Poor highlighting design - too much text has been highlighted.  The act of highlighting is less time consuming and much easier than note-taking ( to be discussed in an upcoming posting). To be effective in highlighting it should be a kind of  meta

Ebooks as Textbooks Part 8: Textbook structure

Textbooks usually have a structure, and it doesn't matter if it is an electronic textbook or a paper printed one, the people who put the textbook together usually make it have a structure to help you better understand what you are reading and learning. Textbooks are usually a type of text known as informational or expository text - this is text written to inform, and can be things like textbook chapters, newspaper and magazine articles, and other reference materials like encyclopedia items. The other kind of text that you usually encounter in school is narrative text, where a story is being told - which could be fictional or non-fiction. And while textbooks are informational text, many will also have narrative text, usually as stories to help you better understand the concept, although in an English or literature class the stories are often more the focus of the learning. Textbook Elements With an electronic textbook it might be hard to see the structure, because you cant riffle

Auto Summarization

In dealing with textbooks and students with disabilities, one of the most common things that we would do is to get the textbook in a digital format, as an ebook. By doing this we were able to use a number of tools based on the need of the student. I've had students who could not lift their physical printed textbook, but would be able to access though a laptop installed in their electronic wheelchair, for students with vision issues we could boost the font size or use a text-to-speech tool to have the book read aloud to them. One tool that I used with a number of my students who had issues was the Auto Summarize tool in Word. The tool works well with textbook, but wouldn't work for other texts, such as novels.  I used this to reduce the amount of text that they had to read, the "cognitive load" of the text, but would still enable be able to get the information. Word did a great job, and depending on the student I would reduce the text to about 66% for facts and support