Skip to main content

Listening to the Kindle read the Novel and the Textbook

Today's posting is a little different from the others, in that it's not related to a news article, but instead are some of my own personal observations dealing with an ebook aspect. I had a good amount of experience with a wide variety of read aloud systems including text-to-speech tools. For example, I often use text-to-speech tools when reading dissertations, this allows me to have a multimodality form of reading, improving my reading and I found this to be very effective. So with my Kindle I thought I would experiment with having it read to me a variety of different kinds of books and see what happened.
For the past few weeks I've been having my Kindle read me a textbook that I'm using with one of my classes. I often listen to this textbook while I'm driving longer distances or riding my bike, and as lately I've been taking a number of trips that have me driving for about two to three hours each way it gave me a way to more effectively beyond just listening to music. I’ve found that this machine reading of the textbook while I to be extremely effective. The only issue that I've actually been having is that the as is reading to me I keep waiting to take notes, not something good to do while driving or riding. I’ve adapted to overcome this notetaking problem, by using a voice recorder - I pause the ebook reading aloud, and then I use the voice recorder to take my notes, and then I continued reading. Later I use my voice recorder to go back within the textbook and add my notes and highlights.

So, on one bike ride I had just finished “reading” (listening) to a chapter from the textbook and I didn't want to continue with the textbook at that time. So I thought I would just switch to a novel that I had been reading (visual) on my Kindle and have it read that novel aloud to me as I continued biking. Very quickly I found myself being frustrated with the reading that was occurring. This was not a problem with the voice or the speed at which it was reading, or of the machine’s reading prosody, as for example question’s intonations did go up at the end of the sentence as compared to the rest of the sentence. New reading systems are a much more advanced than the old reading systems were and I had been listening to reading systems for quite a long time. And I found a Kindle to be very good at how it reads. What I realized was that I was having a visualization problem, a visulation that was creating a cognitive dissonance situation as I was listening to a machine read a novel. An issue that was not occurring while I was listening to it read me the textbook. Normally when I read a novel I constantly go through a series of visualizations of the based upon the descriptions in the book and as I continue to read adjust my image of what I'm reading for the text occurring. What I hadn't realized was that I also do the similar thing in that I visualize the voices of the characters within the novels I'm reading. So while the Kindle was reading it to me in a single voice, I had become quite used to reading and inserting character voices in my head, with a complete female voices, male voices, and accents for the different characters. So while my head kept looking for the different voices, the Kindle just kept reading with its only voice.  

So I'm finding the Kindle to be an excellent reading resource, one personal issue I've discovered is that the for novels with lots of dialogue it can be a little frustrating in listening, although I have no problem reading it off the screen. This isn’t a Kindle issue, it is an issue of the computer reading voice for a number of books - such as novels. Here is definitely where audio books or books on tape, where there is a real reader, using different voices or where a book has been done with full cast audio (different people reading) are definitely better than machine red voices. Although I did do an experiment where I used another piece of software that allowed me to pick between six different voices and actually assign different characters of different voices and had it read to me in that one actually worked out quite well. I was able to follow the novel throughout with the assigned different voices to read different parts. One possibility for the future electronic book reading devices would be to somehow code in the different characters and so that the system would recognize that it and use different character voices, that way it could become similar to a reader’s theater reading experience, where there are different characters with different voices.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ebooks as Textbooks - Part 2 - Highlighting

Highlighting can be a very effective tool in reading and learning no matter the kind of text being read: from novels to textbooks. Most textbooks or other forms of information text will usually used text features along with graphics to help organize information presented in the text.  These elements are done to help focus attention on important or key concepts and provide additional information. The text organization itself can include structural elements such as heading, subheading, index, glossary, paragraph spacing, bulleted or numbered lists, sidebars or side boxes, italics, underlines or bold for words or even sections. Graphic content can include the use of symbols, colors, illustrations, pictures, diagrams, charts, and graphs. Poor highlighting design - too much text has been highlighted.  The act of highlighting is less time consuming and much easier than note-taking ( to be discussed in an upcoming posting). To be effective in highlighting it should be a kind of  meta

Ebooks as Textbooks Part 8: Textbook structure

Textbooks usually have a structure, and it doesn't matter if it is an electronic textbook or a paper printed one, the people who put the textbook together usually make it have a structure to help you better understand what you are reading and learning. Textbooks are usually a type of text known as informational or expository text - this is text written to inform, and can be things like textbook chapters, newspaper and magazine articles, and other reference materials like encyclopedia items. The other kind of text that you usually encounter in school is narrative text, where a story is being told - which could be fictional or non-fiction. And while textbooks are informational text, many will also have narrative text, usually as stories to help you better understand the concept, although in an English or literature class the stories are often more the focus of the learning. Textbook Elements With an electronic textbook it might be hard to see the structure, because you cant riffle

Auto Summarization

In dealing with textbooks and students with disabilities, one of the most common things that we would do is to get the textbook in a digital format, as an ebook. By doing this we were able to use a number of tools based on the need of the student. I've had students who could not lift their physical printed textbook, but would be able to access though a laptop installed in their electronic wheelchair, for students with vision issues we could boost the font size or use a text-to-speech tool to have the book read aloud to them. One tool that I used with a number of my students who had issues was the Auto Summarize tool in Word. The tool works well with textbook, but wouldn't work for other texts, such as novels.  I used this to reduce the amount of text that they had to read, the "cognitive load" of the text, but would still enable be able to get the information. Word did a great job, and depending on the student I would reduce the text to about 66% for facts and support